Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:58:51 +0100
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help with dying drive/restoring data

Hi all,

Help!  My laptop drive seems to be dying, and while I did keep backups, the
last one was a bit old.

When I boot up, the drive makes clanking sounds I've never heard before, and
never finishes the load.  I'm going to make a rescue disk, but does anyone
have a strategy for how I could handle the delicate job of getting my
updated data off the drive without making matters worse?  So far, I figure I
will boot the rescue disk and try to mount the filesystems.

jm