Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 07:24:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        swaits@pr.erau.edu (Stephen Waits)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem (results)

Stephen Waits stands accused of saying:
> > i have a suprafax 14.4 modem, i'll NEVER buy another supra product.
> > it works ok, my beef is with their service.  it had a lightning
> > strike (or other electrical disturbance) that took out the microfuse
> > inside it.  i opened it up, identified the problem, removed the part,
> > called them with a part number.  they refused to send me a
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't blame Supra one bit for this.  First of all, your
> modem had lightning damage.  Warranties usually do NOT cover natural
> disaster, etc.  Second, you opened up the unit.  Regardless of you
> knowledge, it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

If a vendor won't sell an obviously competent (he opened the unit,
identified the damaged part, and has the part number in hand) user
a single replacement part, then you can be sure that they're likely
to have other similarly anal policies.

On the original topic - a local ISP is heavily recommending the Lightspeed
modems; in hist words, there must be something wrong - they're
cheap, they're fast and appear to be bulletproof.  (They're also one
of a very few modems that come out of the box ready to run, and if you're
hanging one off a router, the extra few minutes to find a free serial
port on something else, run kermit, grovel through the manual etc.
can be valuable)

> --Steve (http://pr.erau.edu/~swaits)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[