Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 13:36:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        paul@nation-net.com (Paul Walsh)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: error reading fixed disk

Paul Walsh writes:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> Steve Walsh writes:
>>>
>>> Hmm ... this doesn't look so good.
>>
>> No, it doesn't.  You don't really give us enough information.
>>
>>> I thought it was a mbr problem but dos fdisk gives me this.
>>>
>>> error reading fixed drive
>>>
>>> It is an eide Quantum Fireball 1080Mb
>>>
>>> Is it dead?
>>
>> Maybe FDISK is dead.  Try using the FreeBSD version.  Are you
>> interested in whatever contents are still on it?  Otherwise you could
>> try just setting it up with FreeBSD.  You might need to format it.
>> Sorry, FreeBSD doens't have a format program, you'll have to hope that
>> your system BIOS does.
>>
>> Greg
>
> OK , I've tried to mount it from freeBSD and this is what I get
>
> mount /dev/wd1a /mnt
> wd1: hard error reading fsbn 0wd1: status 59<seekdone,drq,err> error
> 40<uncorr>
> wd1: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (wd1 bn 0; cn
> 0 tn 0 sn 0)

This is the real problem.  For some reason, it can't read the
partition table.

> dev/wd1a on /mnt : Input/Output error
>
> then I realised that the freeBSD was on the second slice
>
> mount /dev/wd1s2a /mnt
> panic ufs_lock: recursive lock not expected
> reboot in 15 secs...
>
> So now I'm totally confused.
>
> The disk contains win95 and freebsd in a fipsed partition.

I'd guess that this is just a hope.

> Any chance of recovering the data or does it need 'low-level formatting'

Well, you need to low-level format the first sector at any rate, where
the partition is.  There are a number of problems with this:

1.  I don't know of any tool currently available which will let you
    format limited parts of a disk.

2.  You will need to know *exactly* how you partitioned the disk.

On top of this, it's quite possible that low-level formatting won't do
the trick: the disk may have become a paperweight.  All the message
really tells you is that the drive wasn't able to read, not that a
format will fix the problem.  On the whole, though, it looks as if
this is a hardware problem beyond anybody's control.  Sorry about
that.

Greg