Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:56:01 +0200
From:      "B.Hansson" <bernt@bah.homeip.net>
To:        misterb@bmyster.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help!?!?  portmap , what is it used for ?

Brent Bailey skrev:

> forgive me for posting this twice...i forgot what email address is allowd
> on this list...anywho..

Well it's your lucky day!

> Im running a freebsd 4.10 and the other morning i noticed this in my
> "ps -ax" output.

> 13560  ??  Is     0:00.00 portmap 218.49.183.17

> Now ive denied portmap from /etc/hosts.allow ...however accrding to the
> above ps listing ...this IP managed to make a connection to portmap ..
> what portmap used for ?? and does this mean the box has been compromised ?

> thank you in advance for any help

man portmap

PORTMAP(8)              FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
PORTMAP(8)

NAME
      portmap -- RPC program,version to DARPA port mapper

SYNOPSIS
      portmap [-d] [-v] [-h bindip]

DESCRIPTION
      Portmap is a server that converts RPC program numbers into DARPA
protocol
      port numbers.  It must be running in order to make RPC calls.