Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:46:05 -0000
From:      "Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge@nedprod.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher speed mutexes

On 6 Jan 2005 at 18:35, Petri Helenius wrote:

> > because we use simple mutex to protect rwlock, if simple mutex is
> > improved, rwlock should be improved by this side effect.
> >
> But rwlock will be significantly more expensive than a simple mutex
> when uncontested, right?

I have a highly optimised rwlock mutex implementation at
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/tnfox/trunk/src/FXThread.cxx?rev=52&view
=markup. If uncontested, it requires no more than a variable
increment and a TLS variable increment (with corresponding complexity
for unlocking) for read locking and four variable increments, three
variable stores, one TLS variable read for write locking. It's also
fully recursive.

Cheers,
Niall