Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 18:22:41 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
Subject:   Re: USB Install Method

--nextPart2457858.rKG57SD6G7

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Sean Bruno wrote:
> Does anyone have a pointer to a FreeBSD 7 install method for those of
> us without CD/DVD Rom drives?
>
> The easiest way for me would be to boot off of a USB stick and then
> install across the network, but I'm open to suggestions.

The simplest way would be to get a USB CDROM drive.

Note that it is likely you will need a version of FreeBSD released after=20
this commit..

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/boot/i386/btx/btx/btx.S?rev=
=3D1.46

Unfortunately as of today it will only be in a -current snapshot :(
eg ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200805

You might be lucky and it will work but if not you will find the loader=20
crashes (eg spins really fast writing register dumps to the screen..)

It is fairly straight forward to create a USB key with FreeBSD on it but=20
it requires a FreeBSD system to create it..

http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/4/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stic=
k-episode-2
(I haven't actually tried this but it looks OK - I have done it with=20
=46reesBIE though)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum