Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:29:47 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R Vat with SB16?

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:18:57 -0700
Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:

hasty> Try running on dos to find out what the card is configured for or
hasty> read the card's documentation and that a peek at the card.

Eeewww, DOS? We ain't got no stinkin' DOS! (seriously, I'll have to
hunt-down a DOS-box... Isn't there a way to probe/test this without
having DOS around?)

hasty> Well, the sound driver's  3.5  on rah have not received a lot of
hasty> testing on non-gus cards however if you like feel free to download
hasty> ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/snd01041996.tar.gz

I'm rebuilding the kernel against it right now. Looks like I didn't
need to merge the files.i386 from your sound distribution into the
src/sys/i386/config/files.i386 file...

hasty> vat uses /dev/audio so you don't need  /dev/sb ;additionally, you
hasty> can access /dev/audio or /dev/dsp like any sound card on FreeBSD.

What's the difference between /dev/audio and /dev/dsp? Should I be
able to do a "cat sorrydave.au > /dev/audio" or to /dev/dsp?

hasty> With respect to vat , you will have to compile vat in half-duplex mode
hasty> because we don't have full duplex dma support for SB thingies.
hasty> Basically, if you download vat from:
hasty> ee.lbl.gov:/conferencing/vat/alpha/..
hasty> compile vat with the default voxware module you will have a half-duplex
hasty> vat.

I've already grabbed your vat-and-half from Rah; is this the same as
doing what you describe?

Many thanks.