Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:15:23 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tangent for discussion: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux

On Dec 09, at 08:54 AM, Lamont Granquist wrote:

> I think what "would be cool" would be to have a RELENG_4_4_BUGFIX tree
> which was for bugfixes, but was feature frozen.  It shouldn't get new
> features like dirprefs (otherwise its difficult to differentiate it from
> -STABLE itself) but it should get bugfixes.  That way FreeBSD would wind
> up with some extremely stable and feature frozen code.

Well, this isn't exactly where I was going. The gist of my post was to
try to see if some "official" mechanism(s) could be built to enhance and
extend (cough) previous releases beyond the RELENG_(release - 1) security
upgrade policy introduced with the 4.3 and 4.4 releases.

Besides, aren't you describing the CVS snapshots known as RELEASEs?

> Unfortunately, I'm not qualified to volunteer to engineer such a branching
> scheme...

I could maintain a "not-FreeBSD-sanctioned" site for patches of -CURRENT
and -STABLE code applyable to previous releases, but that would only muddy
the FreeBSD maintenance and distribution waters that I think work well for
what they're intended to address, as well as open myself up to all sorts
of support and maintenance headaches.

Dave

--