Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 17:31:41 -0700
From:      Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery " KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl version in -STABLE

On Thursday 15 May 2003 04:04 pm, Brandon S. Allbery wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 19:02, Wes Peters wrote:
> > Has anyone run a recent -STABLE with Perl 5.6.1 in place of the system
> > Perl?  I'm doing something like this at work in the near future, so I'm
> > interested in the outcome if it has already happened and completely
> > willing to share my results if it hasn't already been done.
>
> I've been doing that (and more recently 5.8.0) via "use.perl port" on
> -STABLE for a while now; no problems.

I've also been able to remove the /usr/bin/perl stuff, *but* I was not able to
build one of the ports, because it had the requirement of perl 5.00x and
refused to build with perl5.6x.  Of course, now I can't remember the details
so perhaps it is possible to bypass these problems.  I think setting the
PERL_VERSION in /etc/make.conf is what broke it, but I could be wrong.

-doug