Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 08:41:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: catman

As Chris J. Layne wrote:

> > The default for the man pages sources _is_ to keep them gzipped (and
> > yes, man/catman/makewhatis do know how to handle this).  If you don't
> > like man page sources around, a simple
>
> That wasn't what I was referring to, I was referring to the difference
> between catman's preformatted ASCII pages vs the normal unformatted.

Me too. :)  ``unformatted man pages'' == ``man page sources''.

> > rm -rf /usr/share/man/man*
>
> This of course only is useful after you have catman'd all the pages, and
> it should be 'rm `find /usr/share/man|grep -v whatis`'. The downside to

This will remove any man page except that for ``makewhatis'', and the
whatis database itself. :-/

You could have written it shorter, btw.:

rm `find /usr/share/man ! -name '*whatis*' -print`

(No need for grep here.  The -print is optional, but _only_ for BSD.)

> > will do (as opposed to any black magic in catman(1)), as well as
> > disabling makewhatis (so the existing makewhatis databases won't be
> > clobbered).
>
> When you add more manpages you need to update the whatis databases, this
> update process will most likely clobber the old database because you
> already nuked the old unformatted man files.

You can teach makewhatis to only add records, instead of clobbering
the entire database.  I don't believe it's worth the while.  (Read
this: i think there are more important projects waiting in the queue.)

--
cheers, J"org