Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:58:14 -0700
From:      "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
To:        "Brantley Hobbs" <geekopus@negia.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from a big FAT32 partition

    When I installed 2.2.8 from a FAT32 partition it complained until I
renamed it to C:\FREEBSD

    Maybe this will help.
    Samuel Greear

    HELP!

    I have downloaded the entire 3.0-RELEASE directory from
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD and placed it on my FAT32 disk as C:\FreeBSD\.

    I have replicated the directory structure properly, but when I boot the
install disk and select DOS partition as the install media, FreeBSD cannot
find the files.

    I am running Win98 with a 13.5Gb disk.  The FAT32 partition is 10Gb.
Can FreeBSD read a FAT32 partition that big?  The LINUX installation disk
couldn't, so I thought that maybe this was the problem here.

    System Configuration:
    ASUS P5A Motherboard@100MHz
    AMD K6-2@350MHz
    64MB PC100 SDRAM
    Diamond Viper V550 PCI/16Mb SDRAM
    13.5Gb IBM Harddisk (10Gb FAT32 partition, the rest is marked as
FreeBSD)

    I am using the FreeBSD v3.0 boot.flp image.

    Thanks
    Brantley
    geekopus@negia.net