Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:47:14 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make package" vs "pkg create"

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:33:45 -0600
Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried making a build jail, not with pourdriere or tinderbox.  I just
> went to the ports and ran `make -DBATCH package-recursive clean` to get
> packages created.  I ran `pkg add *` in the packages/All directory, but
> all failed because of MANIFEST missing.  I'm guessing this is a bug in
> the .mk files, since I do have WITH_PKGNG set.

	No bug, but you will need to run pkg repo  to turn the collection
of packages you've built into a pkgng repository.

>  Is this a known problem
> or is there supposed to be a different way to do it?  Am I just supposed
> to use pourdriere or the source to keep my ports up to date until all
> the packages are rebuilt on freebsd.org?

	You don't need to use poudriere but it is very convenient once set
up. For example - updating the ports tree and rebuilding the affected ports

poudriere ports -u
poudriere bulk -f /root/packages -j build

	build is my build jail, and /root/packages is a file listing the
packages I want.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>