Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 07:41:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Robert <robert@chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Dial-Up PPP]

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Robert wrote:

> Kevin Eliuk wrote:
>
> Hi Kevin, different person here.
> I tell you what. There must be an easier method than all this poxing
> about with a couple of dozen config files, with examples for everything
> except what we need. It's worse than UUCP!

Not worse than having to recompile the kernel to try a different setup
though :)

> Well, I've read the manual. I've even had ppp working. But each time
> I come back to it, I get involved in stuffing around with a slightly
> different setup.
>
> This time, the site I'm dialing into is a PAP site. This means that the
> connection simply sits there waiting for the PAP authentication, so
> manual dialing wont work. I dial in and get CONNECTED 38400 and thats
> it.
>
> Ok, a question on the ppp.secret file.
>

> > /etc/ppp/ppp.secret
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > #  Sysname              Secret Key              Peer's IP address
> >  <machine_name>         <your_passwd>                   10.0.0.1

ie chalmers.com.au / <machine_name> = chalmers

Secret Key can be any password you choose it is a security measure for
iijppp only.

ie	$ ppp
	User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
	Log level is 281
	Using interface: tun0
	Interactive mode
	ppp on chalmers> passwd <your_passwd>
	ppp ON chalmers>

> Who's machine name? mine, or their's.              Their address ?
> and is it the same as the one in
> the ppp.conf file?
>

> > /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > default:		<---------------- ????
> >  set device </dev/cuaa0>
>

> > Let me know how you make out.
>
> Well Kevin. I tried everything, and although I can get it to dial the
> site, thats as far as I get. I guess its that ppp.secret file.

As you can see the site doesn't see the ppp.secret file or cares not
to. Only those that want to use your machine care about ppp.secret.

Ok continuing from the above example you get

ie cont.	ppp ON chalmers> dial <whatever>
		Dial attempt 1
		Phone: <your-site#)
		dial OK!
		login OK!
		ppp ON chalmers> Packet mode.
		ppp ON chalmers>
		PPP ON chalmers>
		^^^

If you end up with the PPP in upper case the connection is complete,
ok, if you cannot get anywhere beyond that then you probably have it
narrowed down to errors resolving the nameserver.

*note: Not something I brag a whole lot about is when I first
installed FreeBSD I thought it a good idea to turn linux emulation on
in sysconfig. Which, I found out, is where I was having the problem
with resolv.conf (its in the handbook) and iijppp could only connect
and nothing else.

> I see the ppp.conf.sample file has a papsite entry that uses
>
> 	authname
> 	authword
>
> type of thing? Is this in addition to ppp.secret, or in place of?
			    ^^^^^^^^

Although I don't use this in ppp.conf they would be the ones your
dial-up site is interested in.

> The other thing. I had pppd working fine. But how does this use PAP?
> No one, including the manual knows! or at least aren't telling anyone
> anyway.

I don't know anything about pppd, and for my purposes don't see any
need to use anything except iijppp.

> Anyway, thanks for your clear description to the other chap, it
> certainly helped.

Your welcome :)

Disclaimer: Examples are from my machine and any similarities to those
	    machines, either living or dead, are purely coincidental:)

   			    |  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
			    |    \	 Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |