Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 22:47:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...

> BTW, I have disabled ALL LKM's in the system and it appears to hold
> together!

<USUAL-OBLIGATORY-POINT TRIGGERED-BY="LKM-KEYWORD">
If your installed LKMs are not in sync with your kernel, e.g. you're
actively using LKMs and you haven't gone into /usr/src/lkm and done a
"make depend all install" to correspond to the kernel you just
config'd, built and installed, well, then you're taking your life into
your own hands and you should, at the minimum, probably be spanked.

Various schemes, ranging from the semi-sane to the outright crackpot,
have been advanced for adding LKM versioning and fancy dependency
checking but nothing workable (and inoffensive to the smell) has been
implemented yet, so, for now this is what you have to do.  Again:
MAKE SURE YOUR LKMS ARE IN SYNC WITH YOUR KERNEL!

Thank you.
</USUAL-OBLIGATORY-POINT>

In this particular case, however, I think I blame the OSS LKM
specifically and if the linux & screen saver lkms are sure to be in
sync with their kernel then they can probably be brought back safely.

I should also point out that if this turns out to be an instance of
someone using a driver which is *openly acknowledged to be BETA
software* on a production machine, and crashing that machine from said
use, then I shall most definitely recommend that this particular
someone do at least 10 hours of penance in recompense, perhaps by
helping out at the local homeless shelter or giving blood.
Foolishness of such magnitude demands some form of restitution. ;-)

					Jordan