Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:35:06 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnconfig & FAT filesystem -- supported?

Ted Spradley:
 |> Is it possible to mount a DOS FAT file system as a vnode disk?
 |> If so, I guess I don't know the trick:
 |>
 |>   # vnconfig /dev/vn0 /data/doscmd_C_drive
 |>   # mount -t msdos /dev/vn0a /mnt
 |>   msdos: /dev/vn0a: Invalid argument
 |>
 |> BTW, doscmd_C_drive is a standard file on my FreeBSD UFS filesystem.
 |
 |I don't know anything about vnodes, but I've puzzled over that cryptic
 |errmessage from mount before.  It's telling you that you don't have a
 |proper file system.  You need the msdos equivalent of newfs ("format" in
 |DOSspeak?) before the mount command.

Well, actually doscmd_C_drive is a valid FAT file system.  In fact, I dd'ed
it off a real disk into a file, and doscmd runs happily with it.

Question is, can the vnode system handle MSDOS/FAT?

For now, I just copy the files inside doscmd from the DOS prompt by
pointing its D: to a UFS disk:

     assign hard /wd4tmp/doscmd/doscmd_C_drive 65 255 63
     assign D: -ro /c

but it would be useful to be able to copy files into/out of the doscmd file
system (doscmd_C_drive file) w/o firing up doscmd.

Randall