Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:22:40 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/man Makefile man.c src/etc/mtree BSD.local.dist BSD.usr.dist BSD.x11-4.dist BSD.x11.dist

As Dan Langille wrote:

> > OK, what do others think about this?
>
> We've had users coming into IRC channels asking about the man page
> changes.  I don't fully understand the implications yet.  From the
> comments above, it sounds like each time I issue 'man ls', it's going to
> decompress the man page unless I do some tweaking.  Is that correct?

It's even worse.  Decompressing takes relatively little time, and
happens for cat pages as well (they are stored as .gz files, too).
But it needs to run the troff toolchain each time you want to look
at a man page (gzcat <manpage>.gz | tbl | nroff -mandoc).  For
larger pages this can take a good bit of time.  The largest page i
could find here was avr-gcc (basically a full plain GNU gcc man page),
which takes 3.5 seconds to format on this 400 MHz K6 machine here.

> Please don't force the majority of people to tweak their systems in order
> to avoid a theoretical problem for a small minority.

I think you might neglect the security problem here.  Although i'd
like to have the knob in make.conf as well, i wouldn't turn it on
unless after trying to understand /which/ security risk i am at. ;-)