Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:48:48 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <jacks@sage-american.com>
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a desktop ?

Jack writes:

> Not that my stamp of approval matters, but that
> is a VERY opened-minded and logical way of stating
> it.

Thanks.

> When the hardware wears out and upgraded, I will
> never load the Win98 again as it is incredibly
> unstable crashing/locking constantly with very
> few apps running. Win2K is very stable ...

It's important to understand that Windows 98 and its toy brethren have _nothing_
in common with Windows NT/2K and its ilk except the name and the GUI.  Under the
hood, these operating systems are dramatically different--as different as
Windows and the Mac.  The Windows 98 tribe is junk, essentially; fine for
occasional and non-critical home use, but not stable or solid enough (IMO) for
business and critical use.  Windows NT/2K, in contrast, is a heavy-duty OS that
can take a beating and run under heavy loads on lots of hardware and still work.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft has developed these two different operating
systems and marketed them in ways that obfuscate the dramatic differences
between them in system architecture.

> ... but not nearly as stable as FreeBSD...

FreeBSD is UNIX, a multiuser, timesharing operating system that was mature and
stable before most Windows users were born.  Any operating system that has been
around that long tends to be very stable indeed.  Additionally, UNIX was
developed in the days when buying ever-increasing amounts of hardware to
compensate for really bad software was simply not economically feasible or even
technically possible, not even for the most fortunate users--so UNIX is a system
that runs lean and mean, even today.

> ... but, Win2K can really run the desktop well
> all the many heavy apps that this publishing
> business needs.

I've run NT since it first came out, and I've never looked back.

It is interesting to note that NT is more stable than 9x, and it also happens to
look a lot more like UNIX.  This is not a coincidence; it's a consequence of the
fact that certain system architectures are more stable than others, and NT and
UNIX follow the best OS design practices much more closely than Windows 9x and
its predecessors, which were essentially thrown together out of spit and baling
wire.

I've seen the code for NT and 9x, and just looking at it you can tell that two
different categories of engineers wrote it.  The 9x code is written by
high-school students, it seems; the NT code is written by people who have
clearly been bitten by bad coding practices in the past.

UNIX, of course, resembles this latter model, since it has been around for so
long.

> I see absolutely no reason to use Linux, but that
> may change later when it can run the destop
> better than Windoze.

That isn't going to happen.  Linux is a flavor of UNIX, and the architecture of
UNIX is incompatible with heavy desktop use, just as the bloated GUI of Windows
is incompatible with high-performance use as a server.  Short of completely
rewriting Linux so that it no longer looks like UNIX, this isn't going to
change.

I have similar reservations about the Mac OS X, although I suspect that it has
already been very heavily rewritten to get around this problem, and it will be
ever more extensively rewritten in the future.

There's no getting around it:  You cannot be everything to everyone, and a good
server is inevitably a poor desktop, and vice versa.  People who fall in love
with one OS and then try to make it do everything are hilariously entertaining,
though.