Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:21:56 -0500 (GMT)
From:      Sean Welch <welchsm@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, eta@lclark.edu
Subject:   Radeon 7500 w/ DRI locking on restart of X

Is anyone else seeing this issue?  I'm running into it
on desktop boxes and a laptop running 4.8-RELEASE with
up to date ports collections and various versions of
DRI installed over a ports version of X.  I'm also seeing
this under 5.1-RELEASE on the laptop.

Everything works perfectly unless/until I restart the X
server.  This appears to be initiated automatically when
running GDM -- ie, GDM starts, you log in using that X
session, you log out and the session stops, GDM starts X
again and displays the login screen.

This seems to happen a bit more than 1/3 of the times I
try it (intentionally or not).  It isn't much of a problem
on the laptop as I'm the only user and tend to turn the
machine off when I log out but it is causing all sorts of
issues on the desktops because they are intended to be
used as multi-user (serially and also simultaneously)
systems.

Any ideas?  The instability goes away completely with DRI
disabled, but part of the use of these desktops is in the
accelerated OpenGL rendering...

                                                  Sean