Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:09:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com (John Baldwin)
Cc:        hausen@punkt.de, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No /boot/loader (dangerously dedicated)

As I recall, John Baldwin wrote:
>> Folks, gemoetries are for brain damaged PC operating systems.
>> All the box needs to boot is a proper MBR. BIOSes that
>> don't boot from a dedicated disk are _broken_.
>
> No, they are actually smart in that they attempt to use a geometry
> that matches the MBR so that you can move disks around.  As a result,
> when we try to fake it, it confuses them.

No, they are for brain-damaged operating systems that are trying to
stay compatable with drives built in the Jurassic era when geometry
meant something.  You and I both know that my Quantum Fireball
doesn't have 63 heads, which would imply 32 platters.  And never mind
that there are a variable number of sectors on a track, depending on
if we're talking an outer track or an inner track.

Disks should be treated as a linear list of blocks.  The rest is
just overhead, chicken-waving, backward-compatability magic.

The confusion results when two different O/Ss (or the device
drivers, or the drive firmware) apply different mapping algorithms
to turn a logical block address into a cyl/trk/sec value.

What you're saying is that we should follow the existing convention
of using values stored in the MBR because it will work with very old
hardware, and you could move a drive from a new machine to an old
one without leaving the data apparently scrambled.

What some of us are saying is we don't care about moving drives
around, or legacy hardware.  And we know enough to recognize when
that can be a problem, and are willing to deal with it.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net