Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 15:18:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        maint@spike.fa.gau.hu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 scsi controllers

> Hi,
> 	I just got a new SCSI controller, an AHA3940UW with a new HDD. I
> still need the old controller (an AHA 1542CF with it's  disk, because I
> don't want to use the new staff without a week of testing. The problem is,
> that the old disk used to be sd0, and reported as C: by the bios. As I put
> in the new controller and disk, the old disk is still reported as C:
> and the new as D:. But in the FreeBSD bootsequence PCI checking comes
> first. This means, that the new disk becomes sd0, as devices conneced by
> PCI are discovered first, and the old disk becomes sd1.
> 	I have compiled a new kernel, and changed config to:
> config	kernel root on sd1	swap on sd1
> And also changed /etc/fstab accordingly. But it still doesn't work.
> Booting deads with something like: "Can't boot from sd0"
> 						    ^^^
> That means, that it's still looks for sd0.
> 	Does anyone have the idea, how to get it to work? I mean, both of
> them together, as I will need to copy the old disk's content's to the new
> one... Thanx for your help, and sorry, if I asked something obvius... Bye,
> 	Peter Czanik (maint@spike.fa.gau.hu)

You want to wire down the devices.  Look at the example in LINT.
You'll need something like:

controller    scbus0 at aha0
controller    scbus1 at ahc0 bus 0
disk      sd0 at scbus0 target 0
disk      sd1 at scbus1 target 0

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936