Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:00:18 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kill active tcp connection w/no controlling process?

A few minutes ago I noticed the activity lights on my switch were
blinking like mad.  I knew that there was nothing I was doing that
should cause the network activity, so I checked my processes to see if
someone had connected to my httpd/ftpd and was downloading something.
Nothing there.  So I ran a `netstat -f inet` and saw that there was a
TCP connection to cookies.cmpnet.com in the FIN_WAIT_1 state.  I
launched a program from ports called "trafshow" and saw that my machine
was actively transfering data with cookies.cmpnet.com, so I checked
netstat again, but still only one connection to cookies.cmpnet.com in
the FIN_WAIT_1 state.  This network activity went on for about 5 minutes
on my DSL connection - many megabytes must have been transfered.  I've
since found that it appears to be something related to Opera, but even
killing Opera didn't kill the rogue TCP connection.  This brings me to
my question: is there any way, through a shell, to kill a socket that
apparently has no proccess associated with it?...It seems that this
scenario should never happen?  I can reproduce this problem simply by
reloading the questionable page in Opera.  Any ideas, thoughts?  By the
way I'm running 4.6 Stable cvsuped and built about a week ago -also,
Opera for Linux v6.01.

Thanks,
Nathan