Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:22:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: font problem during rc WAS: tput and clear problem

Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com> wrote:
 > #!/bin/sh
 > LC_ALL=sv_SE.ISO_8859-1; export LC_ALL
 > LANG=sv_SE.ISO_8859-1; export LANG

That's not a good idea, IMO.  It is better to set LC_CTYPE
only.  Setting LC_ALL and LANG will change the output format
of several important commands, including "date", "ps", "ls"
and others.  There are scripts which try to parse their
output, which can break in various ways.

 > MM_CHARSET=ISO-8859-1; export MM_CHARSET
 > export TERM="cons25-iso8859-1"
 > export TERMCAP="/etc/termcap"

Uhm, do not set TERMCAP to a filename (/etc/termcap would
be wrong anyway; it's in /usr/share/misc).  The TERMCAP
environment variable is meant to carry a whole termcap
entry, not a filename.  You shouldn't set TERMCAP at all.

 > Still I'm unable to use the sv_SE.ISO_8859-1 specific fonts. the umlauts åäö
 > Anyone got a clue about what in the enviroment that i left out?

Probably because you don't have the ISO8859-1 font loaded
to your VGA graphics card.  To do that, just set the
appropriate variables in your /etc/rc.conf file, and
everything will be set up for you during boot automatically.

Regards
   Oliver