Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 04:09:30 -0500
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xemacs crashes kernel

Michael Smith writes:
> Jonathan Lemon stands accused of saying:
> > On Mar 03, 1997 at 11:01:57PM -0600, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> > >
> > > 	stopped at _fsync+0x73, testb $0x40, 0x18(%eax)
> >
> > Just to follow up on the really obvious, this failure is in fsync(), at:
> >
> >     error = VOP_FSYNC(vp, fp->f_cred,
> >             (vp->v_mount->mnt_flag & MNT_ASYNC) ? MNT_NOWAIT : MNT_WAIT, p);
> >
> > where 0x40 is MNT_ASYNC, and %eax is supposed to contain vp->v_mount, but
> > contains a NULL pointer instead.  Since this is filesystem related, I should
> > mention that I have both MFS and PROCFS in the kernel, and that MFS is
> > mounted on /tmp (async, local).  (if this makes any difference)
>
> The MFS code doesn't appear to touch v_mount at all.  By contrast, the UFS
> code does, but it appears to only read it.  If you don't mount /tmp on your
> MFS, does the system still barf?

I'm not using MFS at all and I can confirm this problem on my 2.2-GAMMA
system.  Can't get the exact uname until I get into the office tomorrow to
resurrect it. :-(
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On Permanence:
  It could permanently hurt a batter for a long time.
 - Pete Rose, Cincinnati Red, speaking about a brushback pitch.