Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        lva@dds.nl (laurens van alphen)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 page fault (Prev: Re: 2.2.7 crash)

According to laurens van alphen:
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
> today i got the same error when the box was pretty idle:
>
> > fault virtual address = 0x12a
> > fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
> > intstruction pointer  = 0x8:0xf01182b7
> > stack pointer         = 0x10:0xefbffb5c
> > frame pointer         = 0x10:0xefbffb7c
> > code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> > current process               = 11 (fsck)
> > interupt mask         =
> > panic: page fault
>
> those address might have been different, i can't read THAT quickly ;)
>
> > syncing disks... 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 giving up
>
> it probably did that correctly though...
> this is our first freebsd box (2.2.7) and has been runnin' in an testenv.
> for a few weeks now.

	When I was running 2.2.5 I had inconsistant page faults
	upon trying to reboot after a crash (power failure or whatever).
	fsck always cleaned my three disks and eventually I rebooted.

	With 2.2.6 there were fewer page faults ... until this latest
	snafu.  This time the trouble is absolutely consistant.

	Hardware  or software...??

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix