Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 02:08:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: machine reboot & kernel maxusers option

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> It seems that -Vince- said:
> > 	I am experiencing the following problem and the machine just
> > reboots under FreeBSD-current, anyone have any ideas?
>
> Stephan has already  answered part of your  question but I really think you
> should wipe away tons of  lines in your  config file for devices you  don't
> have !!

	I know what you mean here but like is there a easy way to figure out
which devices I don't have?

> > wdc1 not found at 0x170
> > bt0 not found at 0x330
> > uha0 not found at 0x330
> > ahc1 not found
> > ahb0 not found
> > aha0 not found at 0x330
> > aic0 not found at 0x340
> > nca0 not found at 0x1f88
> > nca1 not found at 0x350
> > sea0 not found
> > wt0 not found at 0x300
> > mcd0: timeout getting status
> > mcd0 not found at 0x300
> > mcd1: timeout getting status
> > mcd1 not found at 0x340
> > matcdc0 not found at 0xffffffff
> > scd0 not found at 0x230
> > ie0 not found at 0x360
> > ep0 not found at 0x300
> > ix0 not found at 0x300
> > le0: no board found at 0x300
> > le0 not found at 0x300
> > lnc0 not found at 0x280
> > lnc1 not found at 0x300
> > ze0 not found at 0x300
> > zp0 not found at 0x300
>

> > 	Here is the kernel configuration:
> >
> > #
> > # GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
> > #
> > #	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.46 1995/06/11 19:31:11 rgrimes Exp $
> > #	1995/10/25 14:53:33 vince ASTRO
> > #
>
> You're supposed to edit it you know :-)

	I know but the problem here is I don't know what I need and don't
need... =)

> > 	Also, another thing is we have 24 megs of physical memory and 240
> > megs of swap space.  The machine sometimes just locks up instead of
> > rebooting...  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> You'll get some memory back. You  currently have 5  MB (!!) taken by kernel
> space...

	Yeah, how much memory is the kernel normally?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan Fan Club Mailiing Lists Admin