Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 12:42:55 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@db.wireless.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, buaas@wireless.net
Subject:   Panics from trying to open dev after kldunload

Hi all,

I'm working on a device driver for FreeBSD for a VoIP telephony card and
I stumbled upon a serious problem. If I "kldunload" my driver and
subsequently try to open the device, the kernel panics. I found that the
vn device suffers from this same bug. For example:

Before kldload vn:

[root@dbm]# echo -n>/dev/vn0
su: /dev/vn0: Device not configured
[root@dbm]#

This of course is the expected behavior. We then can do this...

[root@dbm]# kldload vn
[root@dbm]# echo -n>/dev/vn0
[root@dbm]#

Again, expected behavior...

But if we then do this...

[root@dbm]# kldunload vn
[root@dbm]# echo -n>/dev/vn0

we get an instant panic.

It seems that there is already a pr open for this (kern/18270) which
includes a patch to correctly cleanup after "kldunload". Is this the
correct fix for this...why hasn't this been committed??
--
Regards, Devin.