Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:33:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        marko@uk.radan.com (Mark Ovens)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The GPL and the Robinson-Patman Act

> > The FSF has a pool of money for sueing people set aside and all
> > ready to go, with a specific emphasis on corporations who, god help
> > them, release code that includes patented algorithms or processes
> > under the GPL.
> >

> That almost sounds like a contradiction in terms; an organization
> representing *free* software having vast financial resources. I
> presume their funds come from donations from the likes of Red Hat,
> Cygnus etc.?

It's not.  If an organization has a patent, and it releases GPL'ed
code incorporating technology covered by the patent, then the GPL
will be used to tear down the patent protection.

This is intentional.

I wish people would quit telling me what they think the "spirit of
the GPL" was intended to be, without their having read the manifesto;
it seems to be endemic to zealots to not read scripture.  If anyone
rememebrs history, that's where the Knight's Templar and the Spanish
Inquisition derived from.

> > RMS hates intellectual property law, period.  He will use his
> > instrument (the GPL) to make his manifesto reality, at any
> > reasonable opportunity.
>
> I am interested in the history of all this, such as why RMS manages
> to have such a powerful influence over so many people (I believe
> it started with a paper he wrote whilst at MIT(?)) that instills
> such fervour in support of the GPL (he's not the anti-Christ is he
> ;-) ) but I don't want to drag this thread down an inappropriate
> path so do you know of any URLs or books that will provide this
> information?

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org