Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:28:29 +0100
From:      Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@inode.at>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow boot/install on AMD Athlon?

Chris Lin schrieb:

> To answer my own question, I found that when I hit the control key, things
> sped back up to normal speed...weird...and I found this by
> accident.  Anyone know why?
>
> Chris
>
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Chris Lin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >       I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 from CD-ROM on an AMD Athlon via
> > it's DVD-ROM drive.  It's been taking a VERY long time(like half an
> > hour) just to boot up the kernel to go into the installation menu.
> >       I tried using the floppies and they get some kind of read
> > error?  But I use the same floppies on an intel machine and it boots right
> > up.
> >       Any clues?

I had an similar problem. (Athlon TB on Asus K7M). The system was very slow
(like on an 386).
I made a BIOS-upgrade, and the new BIOS has some additional features in the
PowerMangement. The values of this features were set to an inital value of
"reserved", and not to a correct value. It seems that the FreeBSD-kernel could
not initalize or handle these BIOS settings.  Other OS like Linux, Win2K and
Win98 worked correctly.
After I setted this options to a correct value, the system worked also with
FreeBSD 4.2.

mfg,
--
E-mail: Michael.Bretterklieber@jawa.at