Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:46:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

> > > Heh.
> > >
> > > mount -o grpid
> > >
> > > Is required on 4.1.3 to force BSD instead of SYSV directory
> > > inheritance semantics.  This SYSV-ism predates Solaris.
> > One feature does not make a system into SYSV.
>
> But it also implies that the system can't be considered a 'pure BSD'
> system, since it obvious incoroporates various SYSV features, which up
> to this point have been the inclusion of 'install -d' and the above
> mount changes.
>
> SunOS4 != BSD, but neither does is it SysV.  It's a hybrid, that happens
> to be more BSD'ish than SysV.  Thank goodness they stuck with most of
> the BSD semantics. :)

What I have seen of SysV semantics in SunOS land leads me to believe that
they stuck ALL userland things that they considered to be SysV semantics
into /usr/5{bin,lib,include}.

That seems very reasonable considering that these were all additions to
the system.

Sun (at least around here) did clearly promote it as a BSD derived system.

... JG