Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:24:05 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd?

Of course, but for each miss, I end up with a message in my inbox
notifying me of a 404 encountered on my site.  It doesn't happen
often, once in a while someone requests favicon.ico, which is probably
someone trying an innocuous test to see if I am running a server and
which one.

From time to time, I get a request that looks like this:
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net/scripts/..%c1%9c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir

Usually, I notify the abuse authorities or the webmaster.  Usually
turns out to be another worm on their server.

Anyway, I put a 404.php script in a while back to let me know if
others were linking my site (not much to link, really) and ending up
with dead links.  Mostly I thought it was a cool thing to do.

Anyway, this php script used to be pretty basic and just announced to
the recipient that the url they requested would be sent to the
webmaster and I would investigate.  After I realized 80% of these were
some sort of hack attempt, I also put a notice that I would also
notify the appropriate abuse authorities if it appeared they were
attempting to exploit my system.  The attempts stopped for over 2
weeks until code red hit the networks.

Anyway, that's the rub.  Seems this code red isn't just a worm, it's a
network virus, because of the traffic it's generating.  If a piddly
server like mine gets a hundred hits in the course of 6 hours, what's
it doing to the big sites right now?  And what is the effect on
general network connectivity?  Seems the whole net must be bogged
down.  I know my response times, even to freebsd.org, are down
noticably.

Even connectivity to mail systems seems much slower.  Is this stupid
worm hitting mail servers too?

Maybe I'm full of crap, but that's my 2 pennies.

Lou

On 08/04/01 08:31 PM, Rob Flash sat at the `puter and typed:

--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Bureaucrat, n.: