Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:38:38 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Good Pine text based replacement?

Michael Lucas said on Jun 22, 2001 at 06:24:19:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 09:07:06AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > I'll second any Mutt recommendations, and echo any queries people make
> > about "dependencies?".
>
> I used Elm from 1987(?)-2000, finally switched to Mutt.  Both work,
> but Mutt is better.

Having used pine myself from 1994 (my first exposure to email) until
late 1999 (switch to mutt), I too enthusiastically recommend mutt.
The FreeBSD ports system takes care of dependencies; besides mutt, as
other people comment, doesn't seem to have too many anyway.

However, there are caveats:

(1) if you're used to connecting to your mailserver on port 25 via
    your mail client to send your mail, you can't do that with mutt.
    You need to run some mta (which can be very minimalistic) on your
    local machine to do the job for you.

(2) With mutt, sending attachments is a (slight) annoyance: you need
    to start editing the message, quit the editor, *then* remember to
    attach whatever you wanted.  More than once I've promised an
    attachment in the message and then forgotten to include it.  In
    pine you can type in the attachment first thing, before your
    message.  (Maybe this can be configured, I just need to dig
    deeper?

(3) The handling of aliases (addressbook) within the mailer is much
    less polished than in pine.  I often end up editing the alias
    file manually.

(4) I have some other peeves, but I had them with pine too.  Besides,
    probably I can fix them if I rtfm, I'm just too lazy....

To me, the advantages of mutt (mainly: multiple mailboxes, threaded
display, high configurability) outweighed all disadvantages.  Pine
too is catching up on those features, I've heard.   However, having
become used to mutt, I'm not going back...

- Rahul