Date:      Sun, 07 May 2006 04:22:55 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp0: ethernet freezes sporatically ...

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> g'day ...
>
>   I've recently started having an issue on my desktop that I've been
> kinda hounding the cable provider about, but, from their end, they see
> absolutely no issues ... so I figured I'd see if there was maybe
> something happening within the OS itself ...
>
>   Here is the issue ... periodically, for 60-120 secs, my SSH
> connections to servers in both Panama, Central America and Toronto,
> Canada, will hang ... seems to be totally random ...
>
>   Web *appears* to work during that time, and I have Azureas running
> and *it* appears to keep running during that time ... I suspect that
> my IMAP connections (fetchmail) are also being affected, since I get
> the original "timeout" emails from fetchmail ...
>
>   I am running:
>
>     FreeBSD 6.1-RC #21: Sun Apr 30 20:56:36 ADT 2006
>
>   On:
>
>     CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2394.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
>   And my Internet connection is running on:
>
>     fxp0: <Intel 82550 Pro/100 Ethernet>
>
>   As I've mentioned above, I have been bugging my cable company about
> this, but they can find no reasons on their ends to account for this
> ... I have a business account, so I'm not dealing with "Residential
> QoS" issues on this one ...
>
>   Is there *anything* on the OS side of things that I should be
> looking at that I may be overlooking?  Any known issues with the fxp
> driver that might be causing this?  I've always found it to be a more
> then stable driver, but things can happen ...
>
>   Also, please note that I don't have a router between the 'Net and I
> ... my desktop is our network router, so the fxp device is directly
> connected ...
>
>   Thoughts?
>
> Thanks ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Hi,

Have you considered it might be an Azureas issue?
Older Azureas clients have caused me many headaches
on my home network.  I understand your network is
much more robust than what I am running on.  However,
Azureas runnign on MS Windows XP clients caused network
problems which affected my FreeBSD installation.  I never
did trace the cause except that when Azureas went away so
did the problems.  The newest Azureas client seems to play
much nicer though and I haven't been experienceing any
network issues.  The symptoms you describe sound very
similar in general to the ones everyone on my network
experienced, albeit with different applications in play.

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty
--
duane@greenmeadow.ca