Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:48:48 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>, Licia <licia@o-o.org>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, not-jordan-hubbard@nowhere
Subject:   Re: Let's nail some things down.

On Thursday, 29 October 1998 at 10:08:43 +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 04:10:49PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Perhaps to cover all three major cases, there could be three labels?
>>>
>>> FreeBSD Native     : runs without emulation
>>> FreeBSD Compatible : runs with emulation, no or trivial effort needed
>>> FreeBSD Adaptible  : runs with emulation, non trivial work needed
>>
>> A good start.  At least the categories are easy to understand.  We
>> need to consider whether the words "native", "compatible" and
>> "adaptable" create the same impression on a potential buyer as they do
>> on us.  Any other ideas?
>
> Sorry to step into this so late, but: I think anyone seeing one of these
> logos on a box in a store probably isn't going to know or care about the
> difference between 'native', 'compatible' and 'adaptable'.  They want to
> know that it will run on their machine without any major screwing
> around.

Agreed.  This suggests that the base logo should look the
same for all three (two?) classes of certification.

> I agree that there should be a separate higher level of certification for
> vendors who bother to produce a FreeBSD-native version, but if something
> requires more than (maybe) downloading a port to get it working, then does
> it really deserve to be certified?

Yes.  There aren't that many commercial products that work with
FreeBSD.  We want to have them all.  But you're right, it doesn't
deserve to be certified to the same level as those that work out of
the box.

For example, I'm currently looking for a scanner.  You can buy
scanners for almost nothing nowadays, but do they work with FreeBSD?
If I don't have much money, I may prefer to buy one for $50 less and
download the port.  What I want to know is whether the &(*&^*^Y*& will
work at all.

> I suspect (although maybe I'm being unfair) that the kind of person
> who cares about "Works with..." logos isn't the type to spend hours
> fiddling around just to get a piece of software installed.

There are lots of different people who care about these logos,
including myself.  I don't think you should jump to conclusions about
their technical expertise or interest.

Greg