Date:      Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:58:28 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        David Hooton <david.hooton@platformnetworks.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MPD LAC Scaling

On 11/3/11 9:07 AM, David Hooton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently evaluating MPD as a potential LAC solution for a project I'm working on.  I'm looking to try and handle at least 4Gbit and 20,000 sessions worth of PPPoE ->  L2TP LAC traffic per server.  The reading I've done from the archives so far seems to indicate that this has not yet been done..

probably not with a single machine but it should be possible to use
several machines and pppoe is designed to allow multiple providers to
co-exist on the same network.

20,000 is probably high.. I've heard of 8000 but I have no idea of how
well it worked or what they had to tweek..
4Gb is also  pushing it if you want to be dong other work at the same
time.
having said that, maybe 3 fast machines together could do it..

"maybe" becasue I haven't tried using those components since I wrote
the pppoe module in '97 and a lot has changed since then.

> So my questions to you are:
> A) Can it be done?

> "maybe"

> B) Am I crazy?
"Optimistic"
> C) What is the most sessions and traffic an MPD install is doing that you're aware of?
several thousand sessions but no idea of the aggregate throughput.
> C) What kind of hardware is required?
fast :-)
> D) What MPD and BSD configurations would you recommend?
can't help

> E) How would I load test such a configuration?

> I'm hoping to start testing our options very shortly and am willing to contribute development time&  effort if required to make it happen.  Thanks for your help!
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Dave

julian