Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:43:47 +0000
From:      Matthew Kott <kottm@pfizer.co.jp>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! Cannot install from Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI Ultra SCSI

Dear FreeBSD,

I have been attempting, with no progress to install FreeBSD. I am
trying to install from the Walnut Creek CD, 2.1 Release.

When I am in DOS I am able to access, use, see all SCSI devices. ALL
MY DISKS and CD are SCSI. I am able to sccessfully boot from either a
floppy or from the CD, i.e. setting the directory to the CD-ROM and
typing "install". However once I get into the install menus if I try
the installation I get the message that there are no disks. If I go
into the install options and select the installation media I am told
there is no CD-ROM and there are no other disks ( I tried installing
from a DOS Partition ).

I did notice that during the boot up, none of the adaptec devices
drivers are found, not even the one for the 2940 (I believe it is
ahc0).
I noticed at the end of the boot up I get a bunch of messages when the
PCI bus is being checked. One message is:

pci0:19 Adaptec device=0x6078 class=storage (scsi) [no device
assigned]

All SCSI devices are properly terminated. The SCSI terminator control
jumper onthe mother board is set to "always on". Temination through
the BIOS is also enabled. Boot SCSI id is 0, another internal SCSI has
ID 1, the CD-ROM is ID 2.

What can I do? DO I need to change the setup in the BIOS? Disable teh
built in BIOS all together? I have tried everything I can think of
including multiple attempts at UserCOnfigured installs... All with no
success. I have run out of ideas and am close to giving up
completely....

The computer has the following hardware:
Mother board: Iwill P55TV, built in Adaptec PCI Ultra SCSI (AIC 7860
chip) which is the same as Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI SCSI controller.
Chipset is Intel 430VX Chipset

CPU:
Cyrix 6X86 133mhz-P166

BIOS:
Award BIOS, on-screen "Plug & Play" setup for Adaptec SCSI, Flash ROM.

CD-ROM (external) NEC Intercet Drive 2X speed (quite old but works
well)
Internal SCSI disk: IBM DORS-32160

Best Regards,
Matthew Kott