Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:40:20 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking down libpng.so.4 package dependency

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com> types:
> > In a recent round of package updates using the excellent portupgrade to
> > build from ports, I updated to png-1.2.0, which moved from libpng.so.4 to
> > libpng.so.5.
> > According to ldd, the following dynamicly linked executables are still
> > linked to libpng.so.4 despite updating the packages to which they belong:
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/ebrowser
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/galeon-bin
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-about
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-gtkhtml-editor
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/gtkhtml-properties-capplet
> >
> > I've updated all the packages in /var/db/pkg/png-1.2.0/+REQUIRED_BY [2],
> > which I realise is probably circular.
>
> If you'd saved the one from the previous version, it wouldn't have
> been :-).
>
> > What have I missed and what do I need to do about it? I'd prefer not to remove and rebuild three quarters of my packages just to catch the last dependenc(y|ies).
> >

> Ugh - why didn't the last paragraph get wrapped? Oh well..
>
> Question one: What is a "forced udpate"? Are the ports fully cleaned
> before you make them? I expect the answer is "yes", but want to be
> sure.
>
> You can get a list of all the files in the ports tree that reference
> png like so:
>
> cd /usr/ports
> find `pkg_info -aoq` -type f | xargs grep '[^.]png'
>
> If you find a file in a port that you haven't updated, you might try
> updating that port, then rebuilding the galeon port.

There was an example given for png a while back it went like

portinstall -irf png

This was to check all of the installed ports that use png and make them
consistent. I had the problem with png but did a "pkg_delete -a".
Everything was too far out of date and started over.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

Carl Sagan quote on Seti@home
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/pale_blue_dot.html

It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).