Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 00:08:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)
Cc:        bmk@dtr.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up a PPP server.

> I hope you can make something like a FAQ, or if not please send me some
> info. I'm trying to set up a SLIP server (as soon as it runs I will try a
> PPP-server). But I think that the idea of dynamic IP adresses is the same
> for both. I can set up the SLIP server using the DOC's and FAQ's, but I
> can't find anything about dynamic IP-adresses.

I am going to write a FAQ - basically my scheme for assigning dynamic
addresses works as follows:

I wrote a script (ppplogin) that assigns an IP address based on which
port & host the user is calling in on.  This script then spawns a pppd
process - ip-up gets called which sets up the route, ip-down gets called
when the session is done to clear the route.

Basically, the script does a lookup in an ASCII config file that
contains four entries: hostname, port, remote_ip_address, and
local_ip_address.  I know this is vague - I'll make my scripts available
by ftp in the next few days - I should have a draft document by monday.

I have tested it and it works well, but it has NOT gone into production
mode yet.