Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 12:01:37 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARPs on a bridge

At 09:56 AM 10/6/99 +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>... (long explaination moved to the end)...
>
>I think i don't understand the architecture of the system, so could you
>explain a bit more about that -- i would like to learn more about
>this. How many physical and logical interfaces does the FreeBSD
>system see ?
>
>>From your description this is what i understand:
>
>    customer ----[ DSL bridge ]------+----[ main router ]-- rest of net.
>    customer ----[ DSL bridge ]------+
>	repeat 150 to 900 times     | shared frame relay without
>				     | multicast/broadcast support
>    customer ----[ DSL bridge ]------+

each DLCI is modeled as a PTP connection, so the system sees a physical
interface for each channel. The bridge software just sees then as bridged
interfaces.

the "right" way to do it is to allocate a subnet to each bridge group, as
different bridge groups cant talk at the mac layer by design. Im just
trying to come up with an easy solution to free up addtional IP space so
customers with only 2 address dont have to get a whole subnet.

dennis