Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:09:00 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Michael B Allen <ioplex@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Developer Questions (glibc i386 style backtraces)

--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 07:53:35PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Hello Again,
>=20
> Is there a good list to ask developer questions about porting code to=20
> FreeBSD?

-questions, or maybe -hackers if it gets really complicated.

> I have a good chunk of code to port and no doubt I will have numerous
> questions about FreeBSD specific features like semaphores, posix
> compliance, shared memory and so on.

For shared memory, look at /usr/include/sys/shm.h. For semaphores, see
/usr/include/sys/sem.h.

There is a lot of documentation available on the FreeBSD website;
http://www.freebsd.org/docs/books.html=20

In your case, the Developers' Handbook might come in handy.

It is also available on the system btw, in /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1

> Actually my current issue is the glibc i386 backtrace function from
> execinfo.h. It's not a show stopper if I can't have it but I would
> very much like to have it even if it means writing custom code to walk
> the stack myself.

I think that the glib library has this. It turns up a backtrace.h on my sys=
tem.
There is no execinfo.h file on my system.
=20
> Any ideas? Googling doesn't seem to turn up anything which is to say I
> guess FreeBSD doesn't have a backtrace function.

A quick search of the base system doesn't turn anything up. But
debuggers like gdb work, so there has to be a way to do it.

> Actually does FreeBSD use glibc?

Nope.

Roland
--=20