Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:38:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
To:        Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
Cc:        "(ML) FreeBSD ISP" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISPCON

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Troy Settle wrote:

> Well, I just got back from ISPCON Spring '98 in Baltimore
> (www.ispcon.com).  There was lots of vendors and lots of seminars (I got
> to a few today, including some with Eric Allman).
>
> There was one seminar, which I didn't attend, that had a topic of
> "Building an ISP from scratch with Linux."  As I had never been to an
> ISPCON, I found this suprising, and thought that it would be cool to do
> the same thing for FreeBSD.
>
> The next ISPCON will be in September in San Jose (I believe).  Would
> anyone be interested in joining me in organizing a FreeBSD seminar (or
> two), discussing the topics of building and ISP with FreeBSD and a
> general discussion of the pros and cons of doing so?
>
> Also, how about manning a booth on the exhibition floor?   Could we talk
> Walnut Creek into sponsoring some of us (ISPs and Core Team members) to
> do such a thing?  Possibly giving away some premiums (cdroms, t-shirts,
> etc)?
>
> I guess I'm volunteering to organize this if there's sufficient interest.
> Please let me know if you'd be interested in helping out so I can start
> thinking about what it would take to pull it all together.
>
> --
>     Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
>     Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services
>     http://www.i-Plus.net

This sounds like an excellent idea.  Unfortunately, since I am just
starting this process (starting an ISP on FreeBSD), I can't be much help,
but....

If someone does this, it might be a good idea to make the notes that
the presenters are going to use for the seminar available to this
group first.  That way other people could try to make helpful
suggestions, AND people like me would have a really good reference
of how to do/setup certain things that we aren't real comfortable with yet.

	brian