Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2019 09:41:04 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
Subject:   Re: Why i need extract not one needed port, but full catalog never needed ports?

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 22:22:20 BST @lbutlr wrote:

> AFAIK, there=E2=80=99s no real good way to integrate a pkg install and a =
ports install.

It works quite well if you sync your ports tree against the version used fo=
r the current pkg repository.

I have a couple of packages which I build from ports because I need differe=
nt options for one of them and the licensing prevents the distribution of a=
 binary for the other. I have no problems building and installing them when=
 I sync the ports tree against the pkg repository.

To sync my ports tree I use a modified copy of https://gist.github.com/reed=
acartwright/8622973baf89b263a6d7 . Unfortunately the script at github hasn'=
t been updated since 2015  so doesn't have details of package servers for F=
reeBSD versions later than 10.x but is easy to update if you can find the h=
ostname of the relevant build server, e.g. beefy6.nyi.freebsd.org for 12.0 =
AMD64.

An ideal alternative would be if the package system could have a command wh=
ich would return the SVN revision of the ports tree used for building the c=
urrent repository.

=2D-=20
Mike Clarke