Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:36:21 -0600
From:      "Ray Jenson" <rjenson@redheron.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Daemon, Devil... woops!

This is a long rambling. Please feel free to ignore any or all of it. I'm a
bit frustrated, and this is me getting my frustrations out.

Okay, look... I'm new at this. I haven't ever even USED FreeBSD before a
couple of weeks ago, and now I'm being expected (mostly by my new staff) to
configure servers. And here I am, looking at the logo, and thinking it's a
devil. Well, I can be wrong, even if I am the CEO. It doesn't happen a lot,
but hey... it's a daemon. It looks a little bit like a little devil. One of
my guys has a tee-shirt that roughly resembles the "Intel Inside" logo, and
it said "Devil Inside" and has a BSD logo on the reverse of the shirt. So,
naturally, I figured it was a devil.

The whole concept of the operating system seems pretty straightforward when
it's explained to me, but practical application... well, that's another
thing altogether. All I know is that I have 4 boxes in front of me, 3 x86
boxes with loads of RAM and one x64 box with too much RAM (I've threatened
to donate the Micron RAM several times... and I know just the place to look
for who needs a donation of a 1GB stick or two of DDR RAM... so if any of my
guys are on this list, you'd better take note: I'm miffed about your not
explaining the whole "daemon/devil" issue to me).

As far as political correctness, why not adopt a scantily-clad female in
black leather? Or... or... red. Red! Yes, red. Red is a good color. With...
a whip. Or something. BSD: Binding Souls, One At A Time... riiiiiiight.

I mean, really... a logo depicting a daemon, or even a devil, is just a
logo. It's not like the Son of the Morning Star is a member of the board, or
even an executive. It's not like everyone involved with the project are
Satanists (well, trying to configure the systems with no real prior *ix
experience has made me say you were all evil so-and-so's a few times, but
that's not the same thing). It's not even as if you actively promote
anything other than a different mode of thought. I've even got my
girlfriend's reaction that the daemon is "cute" (to use her word for it).

I will say this, however: the use of religious iconography in business is
nothing new. We've been doing it for more than the past century to sell
religious items, as well as a host of unrelated things (like tee-shirts, for
example). There was an old country-western song that said something about
"God, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz", and more recently there was that
song about "What if God Was One of Us" that had the religious right up in
arms. The religious fanatics in the world find a lot of things to gripe
about.

And it's not just Christians, either. The religious fanatics of al-Q'aida
have said for YEARS that the United States is an evil, money-grubbing lot.
Not all of us are evil, but I will say that a lot of us tend to focus a
little too much on money. I'm of the opinion that fighting extremism with
conformity is tantamount to surrender.

And then there were the extremists a few years ago that killed themselves
during the Hale-Bopp flyby.

These people who gripe about how evil the world is, are, IMHO, mentally
unbalanced. They want to complain, but they don't ever offer solutions. They
demand change, but they won't give one smidgeon of support in doing so. It's
as though they expect one simple decision that affects thousands of people
will happen with one all-powerful person's say-so. It's all-or-nothing.
Change or we'll make you. It's like a playground bully, really.

I wouldn't worry about changing the logo. It's "cute" and has all of the
requisite features a logo should have (distinctive and identifiable,
attention-grabbing, and marketable). It isn't pornographic or offensive in
nature (unless you are offended by representations that don't depict nudity,
violence, or obscenity), and it's pretty well embedded into the BSD culture,
from what I can tell (and that's not very long, really...).

My employees are BSD-lovers. I'm not converted yet. I'm still tapping away
on my Windows machine to get business done (it's where all of the software
that I've learned to use and been brainwashed to love is based), and I'm
fiddling with four BSD boxes, trying to get them to work. Amazingly, the
manuals are entirely helpful (as opposed to Microsoft, who wants to put 24
pages into a printed manual where a 3-5 leaf pamphlet would work fine... not
that my post in this case is much different than that in paradigm). I'm
still having problems, but my guys laugh and just point at the manuals on my
Windows screen and the book that one of them brought and tell me to keep
reading. Which I do. And... well, frighteningly enough I'm actually starting
to understand what a daemon (the software, not the devilishly-cute logo)
actually does.

So... the daemon, IMHO, should stay. It represents the structure of the
system, and is a reminder of what is actually inside. Daemons are terribly
useful, and make managing a very simple matter. However, I'm more of a
business geek than a techno-geek. I like the "gee-whiz" factor a lot, and
BSD seems to be all of the functionality without any of the glitz or
glamour. Which I kinda like. Kinda. I'm still, as I said, not sold yet. It's
growing on me, I'll say that much. Maybe the doctor has some cream for
that... or maybe I should just get an exorcism.

Anyway, to try to close this long and rambling post, I'm stuck with just two
questions, only one of which has really been addressed. The one about the
art has been addressed, and I'm just going to wait for Kirk's response.

The other question that I had was one of finding BSD CD's or DVD's at
wholesale. I like the packaging. A lot. Really! I want to have "official"
media available, because... well, I just don't feel /right/ about charging
five bucks for burned CD with no panache. I'd much rather charge the same
prices that other places charge and offer something really
professional-looking to the router geeks who have been drooling over the
hardware configurations that I've come up with.

Our cases are red. And no, they don't come in traditional beige or even
black. And the guts are... not fully supported. I've had to lower my
standards just a little. The 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm 800 video card is a
little high-end, I think, approaching vertical. If an engineer wants that
video rendering card in a BSD box, he can bloody well write the driver
himself. It didn't like BSD all that much, but the Windows driver support
was fine. The Linux side... well, I think that's the main drawback: open
source isn't really taken seriously by the rest of the hardware industry at
large, so they're kinda unwilling to release enough specs to the public so
that the drivers can be developed with any degree of functionality. I will
say that the "default" drivers worked, but didn't allow any of the cooler
features of the card. And I don't program, so I don't know what to do, and I
have to return the $2,000 video card in a week... that's when my friend's
vacation is over, and he needs to get back to his molecular collision
dynamics or whatever it is that he does with his machine.

As you can see... it's been a long ordeal, and so when someone corrects me,
I'm likely to go on and on about nothing at all in order to prove the point
that I'm pretty well fed up with political correctness, and I don't really
care if it's a "devil" or a "daemon" or whatever. It's a short red guy with
horns and a pitchfork. Or a hammer. Or lotsa papers. Or whatever else. It
looks like a "devil" but if you all prefer "daemon" then I'll gladly
conform, surrendering my will to the political masses in order to appease
the fears and worries that appear to be their own "daemons" in the making.

Okay, okay, I'm going...

-Ray