Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:15:22 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Colin Harford <colin.harford@mail.su.ualberta.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting multiple OS

Colin Harford wrote:

>On my primary master is my windows XP drive and my secondary master is my
>FreeBSD 4.5-stable drive.
>
>How would I go about setting up a boot manager on either of these two drives
>to be able to choose which OS I wish to load.
>
>This is of course, without having to reformat either of them.

Simply type :

fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 <device>

while using FreeBSD. You'll need to do this for both drives, changing
<device> to ad0 then ad1 (assuming that you have IDE drives).

This can also be done under windows using the bootinst.exe utility and
boot.bin file, both available from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/tools

All of this information was available from the handbook :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-blocks.html
and the Multi-OS article
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/multi-os/

Hope this helps.