Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 02:10:29 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: documentation problem, imho

At 02:03 PM 11/21/1999 -0500, I wrote:
>At 01:54 AM 11/21/1999 -0500, Todd Doucet wrote:
>>2.  From within /stand/sysinstall, I selected
>>    the "X Developer" item.  When I'm all
>>    finished with this item, nothing happens.
>>    I'm just returned to the Index.  I am at
>>    a loss to figure out what I'm supposed to do.
>
>I don't particularly want to re-configure my system to
>test this, but I think you were almost there.
>
>If you select "Custom" and then "Distributions", you can
>then select the "X Developer" distribution.  I gather this
>is what you did.  After you exit from that menu, you need
>to select "Commit" to have it actually perform the
>installation of the new distribution.

This is a bad idea.  It wipes out the root password, and
other nasty things.  If you find this in the archives,
don't do it!

>Also, the "correct" way to do this is to select "Configure"
>from the main menu, then "Distributions", and then select
>the X-Developer distribution.  When I do that on my system,
>X isn't a choice (at all).  It does seem that there may

Well, duh.  The problem here is that you have to scroll the
list up to see "XFree86" as a choice.  Maybe instead of the
subtle little arrow to indicate that there is more to the
list, the last entry in the list should be "more..." to
indicate that there is more.  That would make it more
likely to be noticed by those of us who didn't get enough
sleep.  But of course that belongs on another list...

-- Bob
   (I'm a real pretty shade of red right now.)