Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:12:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregor Mosheh <stigmata_blackangel@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrade questions 4.10 -> 5-stable

I thought I'd ask here...

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10, and would like to
upgrade to a 5.x because of the superior jail support.

Which version would you recommend for someone who's
really interested in jail support, but doesn't like to
live dangerously? Of my hardware, the only item of
note is that I use FreeBSD 4.10's ehci driver for USB
2.0 devices.

One of the notes in /usr/src/UPDATING was that GCC had
been upgraded from my current 2.95 to 3.4 and there
are known compatibility problems with the ABI (what's
an ABI? the .so's?) Will this upgrade force me to
recompile all of my existing C++ stuff, e.g. Postgres
and PostGIS, or will my existing binaries continue to
run?