Date:      Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:08:26 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath_rate_onoe and ath_rate_amrr

Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Hi.
>
> What are the exact functions of ath_rate_onoe and ath_rate_amrr ? How do they differ?
>
> UPDATING says just a little:
>
> 20041201:
>         The ath driver has been updated to split the tx rate control
>         algorithm into a separate module.  You need to include either
>         ath_rate_onoe or ath_rate_amrr when configuring the kernel.

The api is defined in sys/dev/ath/if_athrate.h.  Since this api is
internal to the ath driver I've not done a manual page.

As to the difference between the modules, ath_rate_onoe is the algorithm
that's been used forever.  ath_rate_amrr is an alternative algorithm
that is purported to be better.  It so happens that Josh Bicket has just
come out with a new rate control algorithm that looks to be an
improvement over both and as soon as we resolve some issues I intend to
commit it to -current for folks to try instead of the onoe algorithm.
If it pans out we'll make it the default.

	Sam