Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:00:42 +0200
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn and/or portsnap

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de> wrote:
> Currently I'm updating ports and src twice a day so I will keep using
> svn for both.

While you certainly can, isn't it a bit excessive to update so frequently?
Remember, it's not just fetching the sources and ports, you must also
compile world _and_ ports if you want to stay current. I highly doubt that
you want to do this twice a day, even on a very fast machine.

And if you don't compile twice a day, it may be better to keep sources
(and ports) with the installed binaries in sync. Just in case you need to
investigate security breaches or buggy programs -- then you'll be glad
to have the _corresponding_ sources available instead of some sources
for binaries you have not installed yet.

> Thanks.

Regards,
-cpghost.

--