Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:42:24 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
To:        Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>, Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't mount ad0s2 - sourced

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:42 pm, Malcolm Kay wrote:

> > referring to my being unable to access ad0s2 from FBSD.
> > The drive is partitioned DOS-DOS-FBSD.
> > If I set up the partitions Primary1-Primary2-Primary3, WinNT
> > "hides" Primary2, and I have to "unhide" using Partition Magic
> > every time I boot into that hateful OS.  However, I CAN acess
> > Primary2 from FBSD.
> > However, If I set up the partitions
> > Primary1-Logical1-Primary2, WinNT is happy, but Logical1 cannot be
> > mounted by FBSD.
>
> Never had occassion to use this but:-
> It's my understanding that so called logical partitions/slices are
> available to FreeBSD as slice 5, 6 ...
> Thus you should be able to mount the elusive partition as ad0s5.

Agreed.  Sorry, been there, done that. Doesn't work if I use
Primary/Logical/Primary. /dev/ad0s5 exists.

 #mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s2 /mnt/edrive
doesn't work, either,  if I use Primary/Logical/Primary.  /dev/ad0s2
does exist.

<thinks> I wonder what would happen if I tried to mount ad0s2a?
<tests> Neither ad0s2a not ad0s2e succeed :-(
Keeps saying "invalid argument" - /dev/ad0s2a and e both exist, so does
/mnt/edrive.
So I'm stuck.

--
Regards,