Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:51:44 -0400
From:      Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS l2arc stats not updating

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM,  <kpneal@pobox.com> wrote:
> There's some trick I can't remember, but I think the L2ARC is filled from
> data that expires from the main ARC. So if a type of data or metadata never
> goes into the ARC then it never goes into the L2ARC. Don't hold me to that,
> though.

I think this is what is happening. The primary cache seems to be 100%
hit rate and the data set is smaller than the cache....

<time passes>

Yes, I was able to cause L2ARC stats to update once I read/wrote some
big data files. This is all new to me as these are my first machines
with L2ARC on them.

Thanks for responding!