Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:34:12 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   MBR got hosed!

Hey all.  I have a problem I can't seem to get around.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, since it does involve a M$ OS,
but I did try to put FreeBSD on it a while back.

Before installing FreeBSD on a newer system, I decided to experiment
on a non critical one I had lying around (a real frankenstein system).

Anyway, I really screwed it up somehow with the boot record, but I
learned and moved on to a better system - things went much smoother
this time.

Anyway again, I am now trying to get this old frankenstein installed
with Win95 for my brother-in-law.  He's starting college in the fall
and will need something to surf with and do research (Yah, right).
Well, the stupid thing won't seem to boot.  I've tried going back into
the FreeBSD setup and deleting the partitions but it won't actually
write anything until you allocate a ufs slice and configure your
install choices (which is good for a regular install).  I also tried
to set up install disks for 95 and NT, but no good.  I can't even seem
to come up with a boot disk for 95 (I don't have one installed).

Even NT can't seem to fix the MBR so it will boot.  Right now I have
NT installed on a FAT partition, and it just won't boot without a
floppy.

Any idea how to fix this?  I'm ready to throw the drives out the damn
window and forget the stupid thing.  Of course that's not how I'd
rather fix it :|

Thanks for your help.
Lou
--